This part of the city was called the “Old Town Gate”, according to one of the four gates, that you had to pass if you wanted to enter the city, during the rule of the Ottoman Empire. It was demolished in 1862, and in the recent history this part of the city is better known by the Kosancic street, princess Ljubica’s palace, or by the Congregational Church of St. Michael the Archangel.
Also known as: The Orthodox Cathedral, Saborna crkva, Saborna Crkva Sv. Arhangela Mihaila
The Cathedral Church of St. Michael the Archangel is one of the most important and most beautiful churches in Belgrade, located in the central Kosančićev Venac neighborhood, overlooking the Sava port. It’s Bell tower is visible from most parts of New Belgrade, as well as from the Sava shores to the south.
The cathedral was built from 1837 to 1840 by order of prince Miloš Obrenović, in the style of classicism with late baroque elements. It’s interior is richly decorated with one of the most beautifully painted ceilings of all Serbian churches.
The Patriarchate palace of the Serbian Orthodox church is located across the street from the cathedral and it’s home to the Library and Museum of Serbian Orthodox Church, as well as an ecclesiastic art academy.
30x45cm Fuji finest silk paper.
The name Topčider stems from the Turkish word topči – cannoneer and the Persian word der – valley. An artillery camp once stood there where the Turks cast cannons to attack Belgrade in 1521, during the siege of Belgrade. Later it became the favourite picnic ground of the pashas of Belgrade. The residence of Prince Miloš Obrenović was built there during his reign, as the chief building of the residential complex. Accessways were built in parallel with the construction of the residence, along with the planting of trees and the decoration of the palace complex environs. The first park in Belgrade arose from the reeds and sedges.
The tale of the planting of the famous sycamore before the Residence survives to this day. The Frenchman managing the work of arranging the park asked Prince Miloš what to do with the single remaining sycamore seedling. The prince ordered the seedling to be put in the nearby lime pit and buried. Thus did one of the oldest and most beautiful sycamores in Europe grow, protected as a natural treasure, over 170 years old.
The function of Topčider Park changed in time. Built as a palace park for the ruler, it became open to the general population in 1903. Topčider was mostly accessed by fiacres, while the introduction of the electric tram, the popular “topčiderac” departing for Topčider from Terazije turned this natural complex into the most popular picnic ground of the citizens of Belgrade.
The park in front of the Residence contains three monuments. The Obelisk, set up in 1859 in honour of the second reign of Prince Miloš, is the work of the stonemason Franc Loran and is one of the few preserved monuments from mid-19th century. The “Žetelica” (“Harvester”) sculpture was set up in 1852 and is the sole preserved and oldest remaining example of decorative park sculpture from 19th century Belgrade. It represents the goddess of agriculture Ceres and is the work of the Viennese sculptor Fidelis Kimmel. The monument to Archibald Reiss was erected in 1931 in gratitude to Archibald Reiss, the Swiss criminologist, publicist and honorary captain of the Serbian army. It is the work of Marko Brežanin and it was set up in the immediate vicinity of Reiss’ house (Vojvode Mišića Boulevard 73), two years after his death.
Kosančićev venac (top photo) is an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in Belgrade’s municipality of Stari Grad.Kosančićev Venac is located along the elbow-shaped street of the same name, 700 meters west of downtown Belgrade (Terazije). It developed on the western ridge of the ending section of the ridge of Šumadija geological bar which extends from Terazijska Terasa to Kalemegdan, which is a continuation of Kosančićev Venac and overlooks the Sava port on the Sava river, the northernmost section of the neighborhood of Savamala.Kosančićev Venac is practically the oldest section of Belgrade outside the walls of the Kalemegdan fortress.
More at Wikipedia
The Church of Saint Sava (Serbian: Hram svetog Save) (top photo) is a Serbian Orthodox church located on the Vračar plateau, Belgrade, Serbia. It is the largest Orthodox church in the world and ranks amongst the ten largest church buildings in the world. The church is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. It is built on the Vračar plateau, on the location where his remains were burned in 1595 by Ottoman Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha. From its location, it dominates Belgrade’s cityscape, and is perhaps the most monumental building in the city. The building of the church structure is being financed exclusively by donations. The parish home is nearby, as will be the planned patriarchal building.
More at Wikipedia
The fountain (top photo) was erected as a utilitarian and decorative object at Terazije in 1860, as ordered by Prince Miloš Obrenović, to mark his return to the Serbian throne. In 1911, after a reconstruction of Terazije, it was taken to the Topčider Park and returned to Terazije in 1975. The plastic decoration of the fountain comprises stylized floral elements, arcades in relief and carved lion heads; stylistically it relates to the 1860s Belgrade architecture. The fountain has a polygonal basin of a 10 m radius, 1.5 meters high. A square, 8 meters high column is in the centre with lion heads – taps for the water and a decorative urn on the top. The fountain is the work of Franc Loran.
More at Wikipedia
Zeleni Venac (top photo) (Literally: Green Wreath) or colloquially Zelenjak (Serbian: Зелени Венац or Зелењак, Zelenjak) is an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in the Belgrade’s municipalities of Savski Venac (major part) and Stari Grad.Zeleni Venac is located in downtown Belgrade, just few minutes away to the east of Terazije, the designated center of the city, down Prizrenska street. It borders the neighborhood of Savamala to the south, while the northern border is Brankova street.
More at Wikipedia